Skip to main content


Applicants who wish to be considered for financial assistance offered by the Graduate School must complete the application process by the deadline found on the graduate school website here. Further information on each of these awards can be found on the Graduate School website.

  • Weiss Urban Livability Fellowships
  • University Merit Assistantships
  • Nationally Competitive Fellowship Opportunities


Due to the relatively small size of the M.F.A. program, the Department of Art is able to fund a substantial percentage of our graduate students. Departmental funding is available through Graduate Assistantships ($2,000/semester for 10 hours/week of service) and Teaching Assistantships ($6,000/semester for 20 hours/week of service). Reduction of tuition to the in-state rate is recommended for Teaching Assistants, who are appointed based on availability of positions, merit, financial need, and suitability of each individual for the positions available.

Currently, the department also awards full-course responsibility Teaching Fellowships for courses in Basic Drawing, Basic Three-Dimensional Design, Basic Photography, and occasionally other courses like Introduction to Digital Media. The University takes its teaching mission very seriously, and the department awards Teaching Assistantships only to students who have fulfilled the specified teaching prerequisites of 18 credit hours in residence at UNC-Chapel Hill and completion of the Teaching Practicum. Teaching Fellows are advised by the department’s TA Coordinator, the Director of Graduate Studies, and individual faculty members with expertise in the courses being taught. All studio art Teaching Fellows also participate in the annual TA Orientation sponsored by the UNC Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) and are encouraged to use the CTL’s resources throughout the semester.

The Department of Art recommends that all applicants complete and submit the Financial Aid Form (FAF), so it will be on file in case a loan or work-study employment is needed. For details, contact the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid.

Funds are also available for student travel through various departmental endowments.  Each year the Director of Graduate Studies for Studio Art solicits applications for these awards.