Greetings! I was away in the UK last year on a Fulbright Scholar Award — Our Disappearing Darkness and Recreating Prehistoric Night — and am continuing to work on it now that I’m back in the U.S. I will be using the night images I created last winter in Cornwall of prehistoric megaliths as part of an art installation piece to evoke a bodily experience of darkness as counterpoint to the ubiquitous light pollution we experience at night now, with its deleterious effects on body, mind, and soul.

I’m presently collecting people’s stories of night and/or darkness to incorporate into the piece. And for that, I’d love to hear from you! It could be just a feeling you once had in the dark, or it could be a podcast’s worth of story. No experience is too small or too big! I look forward to hearing whatever you have to tell me about your experiences of night (or darkness–several people have mentioned cave experiences to me). We can do it in person if you’re in central North Carolina, or we can do it virtually. Just reply to this email, and we can set up a time ❤️. Or if you’re an online calendar buff, I’ve just created a “Let’s Talk Darkness!” Calendly sign-up calendar for Thursday, Dec 8th—Tuesday, Dec 13th as a test to see if that format is useful to people.

In other news, the tomato “holiday” cards are back!  The Studio Store, after a year’s hiatus, is back with the End of Season Tomatoes card as well as many others. Details and ordering are at mjsharp.bigcartel.com. Before the end of the year, I will likely be adding a few vintage prints from my studio flat files as well as some artist proofs of recent images to the store. I tend to send those updates via my Instagram account if that’s something you do.

With warm regards and best holiday wishes, MJ

Our Disappearing Darkness 2021/2022 Fulbright Project
MJ Sharp | MJCornwall@mjsharp.com | www.mjsharp.com |Studio Store