Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope this email finds you relatively well given these uncertain times. I would like to draw your attention to two current (online) exhibitions at the Art Museum of the Americas and The FENCE in Durham and two upcoming talks (The FENCE and Artspace).

This summer, I went on a photo shoot to the NC Mountains to work on my project, When Trees Are Dying, photographing the impacts of climate change on forests. It was an interesting experience to travel during the pandemic, also in regard to the upcoming election. I am currently editing my negatives and have started printing. Stay tuned!

Enjoy the Fall, stay healthy, and please vote in the November election!

Warmest wishes, Gesche Würfel

Building Dialogs at AMA 

Today, the virtual Building Dialogs exhibition, organized by Fabian Goncalves of the Art Museum of the Americas, goes live on Instagram. Above you can see one of my images from the Basement Sanctuaries project (right) paired with one of Thomas Kellner’s Brasilia, 50 Years of Utopia images (left).

For the 
Building Dialogs project, four artists – Alejandra Delgado Uría, Thomas Kellner, Brad Temkin, and I – created visual dialogs by pairing our photographs. I put special emphasis on color, patterns, lines or other visual elements that I was able to detect in our photographs. The building dialogs are displayed on our websites:  Alejandra Delgado UríaThomas KellnerBrad Temkin, and mine and on Instagram.

Lunchtime Talk with Annah Lee, Artspace on 10/23/2020  

I will be in conversation with Annah Lee, Director of Artistic Programs, on Friday, October 23rd at noon EST. Join us live on Instagram via @artspacenc I will be tuning in from my studio and showing new work.
Artspace is celebrating 20 years of supporting emerging artists through their Regional Emerging Artist Residency program.

The FENCE in Durham plus Talk on 10/17/2020

My Slave Dwellings project was selected for the The FENCE in Durham. The outdoor exhibition is on view in Downtown Durham (located at 102 W. Parrish & Orange St.) until November 15, 2020. You may view the images here. Thank you to the jurors for selecting my work!

You can vote for the People’s Choice Winner here

I will participate in a Pecha Kucha Zoom event with the other selected artists on Saturday, October 17, 2020 from 3:30 – 5pm EST. Sign up here. The event is organized by Click! Photography Festival.

When Trees Are Dying

I went on a longer photo shoot to the NC mountains this summer to take photos for my project, When Trees Are Dying, about the impacts of climate change on forests. I will soon travel to the coast to photograph impacts of flooding and storms on forests. I’m excited to be back in the darkroom to make prints after the UNC campus was closed for several months due to the COVID-19 pandemic.