Gesche Würfel

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I continue to mourn the tragic and brutal killings of Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Tony McDade, and so many other black women and men. I am inspired to see protests emerge all over the U.S. and the globe. However, it is very disturbing to encounter how police violently fight peaceful protesters who are exercising their right to speak out for racial justice. We have a long way to go to fight deeply seated racism and oppression. But I hope that this movement is a start. I stand in solidarity with the Black community and the protesters.

I would like to draw your attention to some fundraisers. I have contributed a print to Salt NYC’s print sale, and I will donate proceeds from the CAM and Artspace exhibition sales. Additionally, you can view three new projects. One is a project I started in response to the police murders, a second compiles some of the work created during the Pandemic, and the third one is a visual conversation.

Warmest wishes, Gesche Würfel

Print Sale Fundraiser for NYC Salt 

I have contributed a print to support NYC SALT’s mission to help raise funds to ensure that high school students at NYC Salt continue to receive college guidance and creative development during this pandemic time where the students are isolated and at even more of a disadvantage.
You can purchase prints by over 286 of the world’s leading photographers starting at $150. Prints are available until June 15th.

NYC Salt’s program combines art education, college preparation, 1:1 mentorship, career exploration, internships, and job placement. It’s a one-stop resource for our students who are immigrants, from low-income families and primarily young women of color who dream to enter the creative industry in NYC.

FRESH Online Exhibition at Artspace 

A new image from the Slave Cabins project has been selected for the online exhibition, FRESH – A fundraising exhibition featuring new works by NC artists at Artspace that can be viewed through June 30, 2020. All works are for sale.

70% of the sold work goes to the artist, Artspace will donate their 30% commission to we are. The print is still available for purchase here. If you decide to purchase the limited edition print, I will donate 40% of my proceeds to two organizations of your choice:
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
Black Lives Matter 
Equal Justice Initiative
Justice for Breonna Taylor Fund
Movement for Black Lives
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
National Bail Fund Network
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC)

When Trees Are Dying

My project, When Trees Are Dying, about the impacts of climate change on forests is somewhat on hold at the moment. I have updated my website and worked out the specifics of the project. I am waiting to have access to the darkroom again and be able to travel. The good news is that I have just been awarded the Fixed-Term Faculty Grant from the Institute for the Arts & Humanities at UNC Chapel Hill, which I am very grateful for. 

Visual Conversation 

I am part of a new photo initiative, Visual Conversation, that was initiated by Nicolo Sertorio. Thank you, Nicolo, for inviting me! I am currently in conversation with Krista Svalbonas. Follow us on Instagram.

On Police Murders

I recently started making lumen prints. In response to the ongoing police murders, each print is in honor of a black person murdered by U.S. police in 2020. You can view the first prints here.

We have to work together on eliminating systemic racism and police violence!

2020 North Carolina Artists Exhibition at CAM Raleigh

The 2020 North Carolina Annual Artists Exhibition at CAM Raleigh organized by the Raleigh Fine Arts Society (RFAS) has been extended until August 23, 2020. A new image from the Slave Cabins project has been selected by Nat Trotman, Curator of Performance and Media at the Guggenheim R. Solomon Museum in New York.

If you decide to purchase the limited edition print, 30% will go to the RFAS, 20% to the Tracey Morgan Gallery, and I will donate 40% of my proceeds to two organizations of your choice:
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
Black Lives Matter
Equal Justice Initiative
Justice for Breonna Taylor Fund
Movement for Black Lives
National Bail Fund Network
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC)

untitled (Pandemic)

I have started making new work during the Pandemic. In particular, I have been walking and photographing in our yard and immediate neighborhood while we were sheltering in place, which is a privilege I am well aware of. Additionally, I have been preserving moments from our everyday life.

Talk @ ‘Virtual Europe Week’

I recently gave a talk, Visual Transatlantic Explorations, about my work at the Center for European Studies at UNC-CH’s ‘Virtual Europe Week’. It was moderated by Kathleen Shanahan Lindner. You can listen to the talk here.

Copyright © 2020 Gesche Wuerfel, All rights reserved.