Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope you’ve had a great summer. 

Two of my solo shows are opening this month. On September 6th, At the Hands of Persons Unknown will open at Pictura Gallery in Bloomington, IN. On September 20th, What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II will open at GreenHill in Greensboro, NC. Please join me if you are in town!

I spent an amazing summer traveling to Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic. I took photos and conducted research with support from the Center for Jewish Studies and the Center for European Studies at UNC-Chapel Hill. I also attended a fully-funded faculty residency at MASS MoCA in August, where I began a project about the effects of climate change on broadleaf trees.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Warmest wishes, Gesche Würfel

Solo Exhibition At the Hands of Persons Unknown at Pictura Gallery

At the Hands of Persons Unknown is currently on view in a solo exhibition at Pictura Galleryin Bloomington, IN until September 28, 2019. The opening reception and artist talk will take place on September 6, 2019, 5-8 pm. Please join us if you are in town! The show is curated by Lisa Woodward and Mia Dalglish. (image courtesy of Pictura Gallery)

Residency at MASS MoCA

I spent the first two weeks of August at MASS MoCA in North Adams, MA on a fully-funded residency for art faculty. I started working on a new photo project that explores the effects of heat stress on broadleaf trees and their (reduced) ability to perform photosynthesis due to climate change. During my stay, I met with researchers from Harvard Forest (Harvard University) and Robert Leverett who rediscovered old growth forest in MA to learn all about trees and climate change. 

Solo Exhibition What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II at GreenHill

What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II, will be on view at GreenHill in Greensboro, NC from September 20 – November 15, 2019. The show has traveled from the Pensacola Museum of Art, FL. Please join us for the opening reception on September 20, 2019, 6-8pm. I will give an artist talk on November 1st, 6-7pm. 

Summer Travels and Research

I was able to work on my projects in Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic thanks to support from the UNC-CH Center for Jewish Studies and the Center for European Studies. The funds are made available from a Jean Monnet Center of Excellence grant from the European Commission. Co-funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union. The European Commission support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents which reflects the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsi­ble for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.
A big thank you to the funders for supporting my work.