Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope you are doing well.  I have exciting news to share with you: My upcoming solo exhibition at the Pensacola Museum of Art that is on view from December 16 – March 17, 2019, a group show at the Nasher Museum of Art, publications, and more.  Additionally, I have added photos that I took of places and World War II witnesses this summer to my website.

Stay warm, enjoy the holidays and the winter season.

Best wishes, Gesche Würfel

Solo Exhibition What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II at the Pensacola Museum of Art

My solo exhibition What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II will be on view at the Pensacola Museum of Art (University of West Florida) from December 16, 2018 – March 17, 2019.  The exhibition reception and artist talk will take place on February 1, 2019.

The exhibition includes large scale prints of places that evoke the horrors of the Nazi regime and 21 portraits of WWII witnesses.

Thank you to Amy Bowman-McElhone, Felicia Gail, Matt Pham, and Nicholas Croghan for making the show happen!  Thank you also to the Department of Art & Art History at UNC-CHfor supporting this project with a faculty research grant.

DECK Journal

An interview about What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II was published in the DECK Journal of Photography #1.  The project was exhibited as part of the exhibition In Other Image, If Words Fail – SIPF International Portfolio Showcase in Singapore in October 2018.  Thank you Gwen Lee and SIPF!

Image credit: SIPF

Basement Sanctuaries: Nasher Museum of Art, Art Museum of the Americas, Square Magazine

Basement Sanctuaries is on view as part of the group show Across County Lines: Contemporary Photography from the Piedmont at the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University, NC.  The exhibition is on view until February 10, 2019. Thanks to the curators, Trevor Schoonmaker, Marshall Price, Melissa Gwynn, Molly Boarati, and Reneé Cagnina Haynes! 

Thank you, Fabian Goncalvez Borrega, for including my book Basement Sanctuaries at theArt Museum of the Americas’ Artist Book Fair in November 2018.

Basement Sanctuaries was published in Square Magazine, Issue 903. Thanks, Christophe Dillinger! 

Slave Cabins in China

Artist and curator Thomas Kellner took the exhibition Bild | Architektur that had been on view at his studio in Siegen, Germany this summer, including my Slave Cabins (Oppressive Architecture), to Photo BaoHe in Hefei, China from November 24 – 29, 2018. Thank you, Thomas!

Image credit: Thomas Kellner