Gesche Würfel Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope you are doing well.  As most of you probably know, Hurricane Florence struck the Carolinas three weeks ago.  Thankfully we were mostly spared by the hurricane in the Research Triangle but many people along the coast and rivers have suffered and are still suffering immensely.

I have exciting news to share with you: my solo exhibition at the Center for Photography at Woodstock (CPW) that is on view through October 14, group shows in Singapore and Durham.  Moreover, I am a Lange-Taylor Prize finalist.

Enjoy the rest of the Fall season.

Warmest wishes, Gesche Würfel

Solo Exhibition At the Hands of Persons Unknown at CPW

My solo exhibition At the Hands of Persons Unknown at the Center for Photography (CPW) at Woodstock is on view through October 14, 2018.  The exhibition includes large scale prints of trees as silent witnesses to lynching of women in the U.S., a sound installation, and an installation with the names of the 169 women who were lynched between 1837 and 1965.

I went to Woodstock in late August to install the show and to attend the opening reception. Thank you to everyone who made it to Woodstock. Thank you to Hannah Frieser, Charles Guice, CPW, and the funders for this wonderful opportunity.

In early September, I was interviewed by Antonio Flores-Lobos of Kingston Radio about my exhibition. Thank you!

Group Show at the Nasher Museum 

Join me for the opening reception party of Across County Lines: Contemporary Photography from the Piedmont at the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University on Saturday, October 6th, from 7 – 10 pm.  The exhibition is on view from October 4 – February 10, 2019.  Images from my Basement Sanctuaries project will be exhibited.  Thanks to Trevor Schoonmaker, Marshall Price, Melissa Gwynn, Molly Boarati, and Reneé Cagnina Haynes for curating the show.

First Naiman Photo Festival

What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II was exhibited as part of the exhibition Environmental Conservation, Peace and Development at the “Silk Road Camel Bell”1st Naiman International Photography Festival” in Naiman, Inner Mongolia, China from August 29 – September 4, 2018.  I was awarded the prize “Excellent Artistic Creativity Photographer”. Thank you to Guo Jing and Laura Moya for the opportunity!  (image credit: Guo Jing)

SIPF International Portfolio Showcase

What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II will be presented as part of the exhibition In Other Image, When Words Fail – SIPF International Portfolio Showcase at the Singapore International Photography Festival (SIPF) in Singapore.  The exhibition is on view at the National Library Plaza from October 5 – 30, 2018.

31 artists were selected out of 600 submissions from 20 countries.  Thank you to Alejandro Castellote, Ark Fongsmut, Louise Fedotov-Clements, and Gwen Lee for selecting my portfolio!

Lange-Taylor Prize Finalist

I was selected as a finalist with What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II in the prestigious Dorothea Lange – Paul Taylor Prize created by the Center for Documentary Studies (CDS) at Duke University.  Congratulations to the winner, Daniel Ramos, and the honorable mentions and other finalists.  And thank you to the selection committee!

Curatorial Projects

Prof. Carol Magee, Makiah Belk, and I have organized the exhibition, I Be Person I No Be Number, with photographs by nine photographers from the Nlele Institute, run by Uche Akpo-Iroha, in Lagos, Nigeria.  The show is on view at the Allcott Gallery, UNC Chapel Hill from October 1-26, 2018.  The opening reception will take place on October 25 from 5-7pm.  The show is part of the For Freedoms | 50 States Initiative and will be presented during Click! Photography Festival.