Fulfilling Chancellor Folt’s expansive vision for the arts, and in partnership with our wonderful colleagues in Arts Everywhere and Carolina Housing, we hatched our pilot “intramural” arts studio last week. Thank you so much for the various ways you have supported the Morrison Art Studio so far. We have heard incredible excitement from the UNC community regarding the 24/7 access and the no-cost supplies, and only anticipate those numbers to continue growing.
Over the course of the past week alone, we:
- welcomed nearly 500 unique students and campus community members to the studio for a visit;
- signed up nearly 350 unique students and campus community members to our studio listserv;
- led 14 group orientation sessions;
- trained and provided 24/7 access through Housing to 160 students and campus community members!!
- and we are busy planning more sessions and gatherings to continue to bring this opportunity to more and more students and campus community members.
Approximately half of those who have been oriented live in Morrison dorm, with additional usage by students living in most South Campus dorms.
Thanks again to Assistant Professor Lien Truong and Department Chair Carol Magee in Art and Art History, to Allan Blattner and his entire team in Carolina Housing, and to UNC facilities for their leadership, efforts, and enthusiasm. The Morrison Art Studio is the perfect example of strategic partnership at work.
Please feel free to stop by. We are continuing the studio’s “open door” policy over the next week. The studio will be during the staffed hours below either by our Artist-in-Residence, first-year MFA studio art student Natalie Strait or two work-study students hired by the Art and Art History department who will be serving as Assistant Studio Managers. Their names are Eden Teichman and Meghan Mcguire, sophomore and first-year students respectively who are already doing a wonderful job of giving orientations and learning the ropes of studio management!
Monday 4 – 9 pm
Tuesday 5:30 – 10 pm
Wednesday 5:30 – 10 pm
Thursday 5:30 – 10 pm
Huge thanks to Haley Smyser who singlehandedly managed the launch event with grace and skill!