Gesche Würfel
Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope you’ve had a wonderful summer so far.

I have just returned from a wonderful trip to Europe and have exciting news to share with you: my solo exhibition at the Center for Photography at Woodstock (CPW) that opens on August 25, group shows in China and Singapore, and new work.

In Europe, I have photographed the remains of the Atlantic Wall fortifications in the St.-Malo area of Brittany, France. Additionally, I have interviewed and portrayed nine more witnesses of World War II for my project, What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II in Chaple Hill, NC, USA and Berlin, Germany. I am currently editing these photos – also in preparation for forthcoming exhibitions, and will add them to my website soon.

Enjoy the rest of the summer.

Warmest wishes, Gesche Würfel

Solo Exhibition At the Hands of Persons Unknown at CPW

My solo exhibition At the Hands of Persons Unknown at the Center for Photography (CPW) at Woodstock opens on August 25, 2018. Please join us for the gallery reception and my artist talk from 4-6pm.
Center for Photography at Woodstock
59 Tinker Street
Woodstock, NY 12498
Tel: 845-679-9957
The exhibition is on view through October 14, 2018.
Hye-Ryoung Min’s solo show Re-membrance of the Remembrance opens at the same time.
Thank you to Hannah Frieser, Charles Guice, and CPW for making the show happen and to the Puffin Foundation, the Department of Art & Art History at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the other funders for their support.

Bild | Architektur Exhibition

Last chance to view  Slave Cabins (Oppressive Architecture) and the group show Bild | Architektur curated by Thomas Kellner. The exhibition is on view at Studio Thomas Kellner in Siegen, Germany through September 7, 2018. The other exhibiting artists are Götz Diergarten, Roger Eberhard, Gudrun Kemsa, Matthias Koch, Thomas Neumann and Josef Schulz. Thank you, Thomas Kellner!

What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II in Group Shows in China and Singapore

What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II will be exhibited as part of the exhibition Environmental Conservation, Peace and Development at the “Silk Road Camel Bell” 1st Naiman International Photography Festival, Naiman in Inner Mongolia, China from August 29 – September 4, 2018. Thank you to Guo Jing and Laura Moya!

From October 5, 2018 the project will be presented as part of the Open Call Artists – SIPF International Portfolio Showcase at the Singapore International Photography Festival in Singapore. Thank you to Alejandro Castellote, Ark Fongsmut, Louise Fedotov-Clements, and Gwen Lee for selecting my portfolio!

Group Show at the Nasher Museum in October 

From October 4, 2018, Basement Sanctuarieswill be exhibited as part of the exhibition Across County Lines: Contemporary Photography from the Piedmont at the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University. Thanks to Trevor Schoonmaker, Marshall Price, Melissa Gwynn, Molly Boarati, and Reneé Cagnina Haynes.