Gesche Würfel

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope all is well. Please excuse my newsletter hiatus.

I have exciting news to share with you: two group shows in the U.S. and Germany, a grant from the Puffin Foundation, a forthcoming solo exhibition at the Center for Photography at Woodstock (CPW), and the @wpanyc Instagram takeover.

Additionally, I am getting ready for my trip to Europe, which will lead me to Brittany, France where I will photograph the remains of the Atlantic Wall fortifications, and to Germany where I will portray and interview Germans who lived through World War II for my project, What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II. Please also check out this project on my website as I have added portraits and photos from the D-Day Beaches that I photographed last summer.

I’ll have a lot more news to share in August, so please stay tuned. I hope you have a wonderful summer.

Warmest wishes, Gesche Würfel

Critical Mass Top 50 Exhibition

What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II will be exhibited as part of the Critical Mass 2017 Top 50 Exhibition:
 A Contemporary Reference of the Human Condition curated by Alexa Becker of Kehrer Publishing. The exhibition will be on view at Edition ONE Gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico from July 20 – August 19, 2018 as part of New Mexico’s PhotoSummer.

Additionally, our projects will be shown as an evening projection on Saturday, July 14th, during the opening weekend of Cortona on the Move in Italy (July 12 – September 30).

Bild | Architektur Exhibition

My project, Slave Cabins (Oppressive Architecture) is currently included in the group show Bild | Architektur curated by Thomas Kellner. The exhibition is on view at Studio Thomas Kellner in Siegen, Germany through September 7, 2018. The other exhibiting artists are Götz Diergarten, Roger Eberhard, Gudrun Kemsa, Matthias Koch, Thomas Neumann and Josef Schulz. Thank you, Thomas Kellner!

@wpanyc Instagram Takeover

This week, I’m taking over the Instagram account of the Women’s Photo Alliance NYC  (@wpanyc). Follow us as I post about my project What Remains of the Day – Memories of World War II.

Puffin Grant and forthcoming CPW Solo Exhibition

I have just found out that I was awarded a grant from the Puffin Foundation for my forthcoming solo exhibition At the Hands of Persons Unknown at the Center for Photography (CPW) at Woodstock that will open on August 25, 2018. Thank you to CPW and the Puffin Foundation! I will send out more detailed information about the show later this summer.

FotoFest 2018 

In March, I attended The International Meeting Place Portfolio Review at FotoFest in Houston, which was as amazing as ever. I had the chance to meet many wonderful reviewers and photographers.