Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope you are doing well.  I would like to share some exciting news about a projection of LensCulture Emerging Talent Award winners (including my project, What Remains of the Day – 71 Years After the End of World War II) on the windows of the International Center of Photography (ICP) in NYC this week; my attendance at the Fifth New York Portfolio Review; a couple of exhibitions and publications.  Thank you for checking out my newsletter and thank you so much for your continued support.  Enjoy the rest of the week!

Warmest wishes, Gesche Würfel

LensCulture Emerging Talent Awards 2016 at the ICP Museum in NYC this week

What Remains of the Day – 71 Years after the End of WWII and the other winning entries from the LensCulture Emerging Talent Awards 2016 will be projected on the windows of theInternational Museum of Photography (ICP) in NYC this week. The projections will begin each night at 6:00pm from May 15 to 21, 2017.

Additionally, the Emerging Talent Award winning entries (including mine) will be projected at the following photo festivals during the month of May: PhotOn Festival, Art Photo Barcelona, Head On Photo Festival, FestFoto Brazil 2017 and Krakow Photomonth Festival.

2017 New York Portfolio Review

I was selected to attend the 2017 New York Portfolio Review sponsored by The New York Times Lens Blog and the City University of New York’s Graduate School of Journalism. 160 photographers out of 2,900 applicants were selected.  The review took place on April 29th and I got to meet some of the most influential curators, publishers, editors, and gallerists.  It was an amazing day.  Thank you!

I’m thrilled that I was also invited to attendReview Santa Fe this coming October.  Thank you to the selection committee!

Artspace’s 30th Anniversary Residency Retrospective

Two of my prints are included in the forthcoming30th Anniversary Residency Retrospective at Artspace in Raleigh, NC to which fourteen of the past Regional Emerging Artists-in-Residence were invited.  Thank you!

The exhibition opening will take place on Friday, June 2nd from 6:00-10:00 pm as part of First Friday Gallery Walks. The show will be on view from May 19 through June 24, 2017.

What Remains of the Day on the back cover of The Best of LensCulture

I am thrilled to see that an image I took of prisoners’ barracks at the former forced labor camp Stalag XB, Sandbostel, Germany for my project, What Remains of the Day – 71 Years after the End of WWII, is on the back cover of The Best of LensCulture book.  The book will be published by Schilt Publishing. 

Urban Memories at the London Festival of Architecture 

Four images from the What Remains of the Day – 71 Years After the End of World War II project will be exhibited as part of the Urban Photographers’ Association (UPA)  Urban Memories exhibition in the Stuart Hall Building at Goldsmiths, University of London (UOL), from May 29th through June 11th, 2017 as part of the London Festival of Architecture

On June 8th, Prof. Emeritus Vic Seider, Goldsmiths, UOL, and Carla de Utra Mendes, a contemporary art historian, critic, museum and independent curator, will lead a gallery ‘Walk and Talk’ from 3:30-6:00pm. 

Der Greif Guest Room

Last but not least, Tiina Rauhala, Chief Curator at the Finnish Museum of Photography in Helsinki, chose an image that I took of the Valley of Deathin Flossenbuerg last year for my project, What Remains of the Day – 71 Years After the End of World War II, for Der Greif’s Guest Room. Thank you!