NoShow

Back to Back Clouds“, Wilmington, NC 2016This spring I became immersed in the fake Facebook event phenomenon where people were creating and promoting bogus concerts online. I set out to photograph as many as I could, even if that meant photographing a rural South Carolina video rental store at 2:30am. Like my Removed series, this body of work relies heavily on direct interaction with other humans while I explore the messy intersection of the physical and virtual world. In simplest terms, the project is an example of the divisiveness and manipulation that occurs through our beloved social media platforms.

The entire series and statement can be found at www.noshow.social

**Today (November 1, 2016) around 3:30pm EST I will be speaking about NoShow on the BBC during the radio show Click. 

Thanks for looking!

For usage and media requests please contact Julie Grahame

For exhibition and print inquiries contact Rick Wester Fine Art

Exhibitions

The Merchandise Revolt / Lianzhou Foto Festival / Lianzhou, China

I am beyond thrilled to announce that Removed will be included in this year’s Lianzhou Foto Festival in China. My work was selected by curator Francois Cheval, director of the Nicephore Niepce Museum in Chalon-sur-Saône. The exhibition runs from 11/19 – 12/06 and I am so excited to attend the festival!

Hello, Robot. Design between man and machine / Traveling Exhibition

Three pieces from Removed have been selected for an exhibition that will travel throughout Europe next year. The exhibition will begin at Vitra Design Museum in Weil am Rhein, Germany in February of 2017. It will later travel to the Austrian Museum of Applied Arts, Contemporary Art in Vienna, Austria during the Vienna Biennale and then will appear at The Design Museum Gent in Belgium fall 2017.

INFOCUS – 2016 PhotoBid Auction and Exhibition / Phoenix Art Museum

At The Light Factory Auction I will make a large format Removed photograph of the auction audience. The promised photograph will be auctioned live just after the exposure.

In Print / Online

Thanks to Mark Leach and The Charlotte Observer for interviewing me about my practice as a collector and how that intersects with my thoughts about being an artist. Read the full interview here.

Collaboration with Precision Creations

During my talk at TEDxBend I discussed how my wife and I changed our device habits. Our bedroom is a space that we consider a no phone zone which not only allows for several hours of more sleep each week but also affords us time alone with one another where we can reflect on our day. My parents, Cindy and Glenn Pickersgill own a small metal art business and together we created this sign. More information can be found here.

Beyond how the sign reminds us to put our phones down, the REMOVED.SOCIAL Faraday Sleeve by Silent Pocket is still my favorite way to have my device out of sight and out of mind.