Dear Friends,

As summer comes to a close, I am anticipating a wonderful fall season and hope that you are as well! The studio continues to be exciting and productive and as such, I’d like to share information about my current and upcoming exhibitions:

ATLBNL  (Atlanta Biennial) on view at Atlanta Contemporary through December 18, 2016

Southern Accent: Seeking the American South in Contemporary Art  on view at the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University through January 8, 2017. The exhibition will travel to the Speed Art Museum (Louisville, KY) where it will be on view April 29 – August 20, 2017. Listen to this podcast of WUNC’s The State of Things with Frank Stasio. It’s a great conversation between myself, Artist Dario Robleto,Southern Accent Co-Curator Miranda Lasch and of course Frank Stasio!

SILOS  will be on view September 6 – October 23, 2016 at American University Museum, Katzen Arts Center. The opening reception will take place on September 10. The exhibition will travel to Glass Curtain Gallery at Columbia College (Chicago, IL) and be on view November 17, 2016 – February 18, 2017.

The curators of the ATLBNL have included a modified array of works from my recent installation included in A View Beyond The Trees. I am excited that these works will have more time with an Atlanta audience.

My contribution to Southern Accent is a mixed media work entitled belle (2010) that connotes a range of associations related to loss, transcendence, institutional power relationships and the iconic Southern ingenue–the belle.

For SILOS, I’ve created an expansive work on paper entitled A Black Force Awakens The Storm (2016) that measures 114 x 52 inches. Here, a somewhat recognizable figure is on the verge of doing “battle” with forces both known and unknown. As the race for the White House pushes towards November (and with the fervor over the selection of a black British leading man for the latest iteration of the Star Wars saga still fresh on my mind), I’ve been interested in the space left for a former black President to occupy.

I look forward to seeing you soon and as always, THANK YOU for your support and friendship…

Stacy
www.stacylynnwaddell.com