Dear Friends,

I trust that you are well and enjoying a wonderful summer!

It’s an exciting time in the studio and as such, I’d like to update you about what’s been happening…

Currently, I am participating in the following museum exhibitions:

A View Beyond The Trees on view at the Zuckerman Museum of Art through August 14, 2016

The Things We Carry: Contemporary Art in the South on view at The Gibbes Museum of Art through October 9, 2016.

My contribution to A View Beyond The Trees is an installation of icons left behind after the series of recent and nationally recognized murders of African American men and women beginning with that of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida in 2012, but harkening back to Rodney King and yet further to the Transatlantic Slave Trade.

These icons, much like those of the 19th century American landscape tradition, pose important questions related to authorship, desire and the persuasive power of nationalist ideology.

For The Gibbes Museum of Art, I’ve created an expansive diptych that stages abolitionist Harriet Tubman’s revolver in opposition to a standard-issue Glock found in most police departments across the US:

Battle Royal (a duel for, in honor of and because…), 2016, composition gold leaf on paper, 52 X 196 inches

In October, I will return to The Gibbes Museum of Art as a Visiting Artist  October 3 – October 9, 2016. If you find yourself in the Charleston, SC area, please drop by the museum as I will create new works that extend the conceptual framework of Battle Royal during my residency.

I look forward to being in touch soon as to projects that will open this fall.

As always, THANK YOU for the support and friendship…
Stacy
www.stacylynnwaddell.com

Installation view, A View Beyond The Trees, 2016, Courtesy of the Artist.  Photo by the Zuckerman Museum of Art.