Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I hope you are doing well.  I would like to share some exciting news about being selected Juror’s Pick for the LensCulture Emerging Talent Awards.  I also have a forthcoming exhibition and artist talk “Living in the Shadows – Underground Immigrant Communities”.  Thank you for checking out my newsletter and thank you so much for your continued support.  Enjoy the weekend!

Warmest wishes, Gesche Würfel

LensCulture Emerging Talents Award -Juror’s Pick

What Remains of the Day – 71 Years after the End of WWII was named Juror’s Pick for the LensCulture Emerging Talent Awards 2016.  A huge thank you to Mutsuko Ota of IMA Magazine and the other jurors for selecting my project!

The project was published in LensCulture on January 27th, 2017 – International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

What Remains of the Day grapples with time and memory in contemporary Germany.  By photographing sites considered integral for the formation of the Third Reich and overexposing the negative film for 71 seconds, only traces of the resulting images are recorded.  Much like memory, these photographs are often left fragmented and ambiguous.

Exhibition at Rutgers

Join me for the exhibition opening and artist talk of Living in the Shadows: Underground Immigrant Communities at Douglass Library, Rutgers, in New Brunswick, NJ on Wednesday, March 1st, from 5:00 – 6:30 pm.  I’ll be showing images from my Basement Sanctuaries project alongside works by Pam Cooper, CERRUCHA, Lauren Everett, Sandra C. Fernandez and Cynthia Tom.  The exhibition is organized by the Center for Women in the Arts and Humanities.  You can read the press releasehere.

Basement Sanctuaries explores how superintendents decorate the basements of apartment buildings in Northern Manhattan by illuminating the process of immigrant adaptation to the metropolis from an intimate perspective.